Below are some highlights from my CV, to give you an idea who’s writing this. If you want to get in touch with me, you can find me on Twitter (@archivesnext) or send an email to info @ archivesnext.com
- Since March 2007, I’ve written on this blog about the issues facing archives, including technology, evolving business models, professional identity, professional organizations, and news and issues from other related professions. Through this blog from 2008-2010 I sponsored “Best Archives on the Web” and “Movers and Shakers in Archives” awards and the Spontaneous Scholarship program for the 2011-2013 SAA annual meetings.
- Since January 2012 I’ve been teaching on online class for the Centre for Archive and Information Studies, University of Dundee, Scotland on impact of Web 2.0 and social media on the archives and records profession.
- From October 2000 – September 2006 I worked at the National Archives and Records Administration in the policy division. There’s a very long paragraph on my real CV describing what I did there, but the parts that will probably interest you are that I worked on a business process re-engineering and spent a lot of time working with the early stages of the Electronic Records Archives.
- Editor, Innovative Best Practices in Archives and Special Collections series, Rowman & Littlefield. Books on outreach, reference, description and management will be out in May 2014. Volumes on appraisal and acquisitions and instruction are scheduled for 2015.
- “Archives in Context and as Context,” Journal of Digital Humanities. Vol. 1: No. 2 (Spring 2012) http://journalofdigitalhumanities.org/1-2/archives-in-context-and-as-context-by-kate-theimer.
- Editor, A Different Kind of Web: New Connections between Archives and Our Users. Chicago: Society of American Archivists, 2011.
- “What is the Meaning of ‘Archives 2.0’?,” American Archivist. Vol. 64: No. 1 (Spring/Summer 2011).
- “Building a Community of Supporters – The Role of New Technologies in Advocacy,” Many Happy Returns: Advocacy for Archives and Archivists. Larry Hackman, ed. Chicago: Society of American Archivists, 2011.
- “Interactivity, Flexibility, and Transparency: Social Media and Archives 2.0,” The Future of Archives and Recordkeeping, Jennie Hill, ed. London: Facet Publishing, 2011.
- Web 2.0 Tools and Strategies for Archives and Local History Collections. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers, 2010.
- “Archives and Web 2.0: One Perspective on the Challenges Ahead.” ARC, June 2010.
Selected Conference Presentations:
Sorry, this is a long list. I should shorten it, I know, but for now, here it is:
- “Now is What Matters: The Role of Archives in a Digital Society,” Canadian Archives Summit, Toronto, Canada, January 17, 2014.
- “Today Everything is ‘An Archive’: Good Thing or Bad Thing?” Toronto Area Archivists Group, Toronto, Canada, January 16, 2014
- “A Distinction worth Exploring: ‘Archives’ and ‘Digital Historical Representations,’ on panel ”Digital Historiography and the Archive,” American Historical Association annual meeting, Washington, D.C., January 3, 2014.
- Interview, Episode Four, “More Podcast, Less Process,” released December 10, 2013.
- Speaker on panel, “The Role of Archives in Supporting Changing Research Practices,” Archival Leaders Advocate: Annual Seminar at the Center for Jewish History, New York, NY, September 12, 2013.
- Speaker on panel, “Moving Change Forward,” Computers in Libraries, Washington, D.C. 2013, April 7, 2013.
- Speaker, “Archives as Platform: Re-imagining Our Mission,” Economies of the Commons 3 conference, Amsterdam, October 12, 2012.
- Speaker and Participant, Wisconsin Heritage Online Think Tank, Madison, WI, August, 28, 2012.
- Commentator and Chair, “To the Community and Beyond: Engaging Users to Interact with Participatory Archives,” Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, Aug. 9, 2012.
- Speaker, “Participatory Archives,“ Archives Forum of the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., June 14, 2012.
- Keynote Speaker, “Participatory Archives: Something Old, Something New,” Midwest Archives Conference Annual Meeting, Grand Rapids, MI, April 19, 2012.
- Plenary Speaker, “Redrawing the Borders: Speculations on the Future State of Archives,” Society of North Carolina Archivists Annual Meeting, Greensboro, NC, March 29, 2012.
- Speaker, “Archivists, Historians, and the Future of Authority in the Archives,” American Historical Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, January 7, 2012.
- Speaker, “Exploring the Participatory Archive,” Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, August 25, 2011.
- Speaker, “Social Media Sensations: A Discussion about the Creative Possibilities for Archives and Web 2.0,” Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, Alexandria, VA, May 7, 2011.
- Speaker, “Evolution or Extinction?,” Ignite Smithsonian, Washington, DC, April 11, 2011.
- Speaker, “Spreading the Word: Archival Publishing for Researchers and Institutions,” Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, Harrisburg, PA, November 13, 2010.
- Panel member and invited participant, Archiving Social Media conference, University of Mary Washington and the Center for History and New Media, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, October 1, 2010.
- Paper presented, “Leaving the Vault and Joining the Party: Using Social Media to Share Archival Collections,” XVI Brazilian Congress in Archival Science, Santos, Brazil, August 24, 2010.
- Chair, “Braving the “New Archives World”: Updating the Skills of a New Generation of Mid-Career Archivists and Records Professionals,” Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, August 12, 2010.
- Speaker, “Archivists as Web 2.0 Consumers,” New England Archivists Conference, Amherst, MA, March 20, 2010.
- Speaker, “Social software in digital libraries and archives: experiences from the field,” OCLC Digital Forum East, Arlington, VA, November 5, 2009.
- Speaker, “Bridging the Gap: What Professional Organizations Can Do To Help Unemployed and Underemployed Archivists,” Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, Jersey City, NJ, October 31, 2009.
- Chair and Commentator, “The Real Archives 2.0,” Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, August 13, 2009.
- Speaker, “Harnessing the Power of the Blog,” Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, Silver Spring, MD, November 8, 2008.
- Moderator and Speaker, “Web 2.0 Panel,” Manuscript Repositories Section meeting, Society of American Archivists, San Francisco, CA, August 29, 2008.
- Speaker, “Tracking the Lifecycle of Records: Modern Initiatives,” Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, October 1, 2004.
- Speaker, “Business Process Reengineering at the National Archives and Records Administration,” Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, Arlington, VA, April 23, 2004.
I’ve taught a bunch of workshops about archives and Web 2.0, including
- Instructor, “New Tools for Old Things: How Archives Can Benefit from Social Media,” workshop, Association of Canadian Archivists, Halifax, Nova Scotia, June 8, 2010.
- Instructor, “How to Make the Most of Flickr: A Hands-On Introduction,” workshop, Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, Wilmington, DE, April 29, 2010.
- Instructor, “Introduction to Web 2.0 in Archives…or, What You Need to Know in a Nutshell,” webinar, Society of American Archivists, offered October 13, 2009 and on-demand.
- Instructor, “Web 2.0 Basics,” Pre-Conference Workshop, ACRL Rare Books and Manuscripts Section, Charlottesville, VA, June 17, 2009.
- Instructor, “Web 2.0 101,” workshop, Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, Chautauqua, NY, May 1, 2008.
- Member, Council, Society of American Archivists, August 2010 – August 2013, and various other leadership roles on SAA sections, roundtables, and committees before that.
- I’ve also served on committees for MAC and MARAC
- Occasional peer reviewer for NHPRC grants as well as Archival Science, American Archivist and Journal of Archival Organization for articles related to archive and use of Web 2.0 tools.
- Archives Leadership Institute, Madison, Wisconsin, Participant, August 2011
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, M.S.I., April 2000, Specialization in archives and records management
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland M.A, Art History and Archaeology, August 1999